St Andrew’s Organ

THE ORGAN AT ST ANDREWS IN THE CITY

Swell Organ (South Side)
Open Diapason (1871) 8standrewsorgan 071
Stopt Flute (1871) 8
Gamba (1896) 8
Voix Celestes (1896) 8
Principal (1871) 4
Lieblich Flute (Memorial stop 2009) 4
Fifteenth (1871) 2
Mixture 3 ranks
Fagotto (1958/68) 16 (a)
Horn (1958) 8
Oboe (1958) 8 (a)
Tremulant

Great (North side)
Bourdon (1871) 16 (b)
Open Diapason (1871) 8
Wald Flute (1908) 8
Dulciana (1871) 8
Principal (1871) 4
Flute (added 2009) 4 (b)
Tweltfth (1871) 2 2/3
Fifteenth (1871) 2
Seventeenth (1871 Choir 2’ moved 2009) 1 3/5
Mixture (1979) 2. ranks
Trumpet (1958) 8 (c)

Choir Organ (North side)
Rohr Flute (1871) 8
Wald Flute (1871) 4
Gemshorn (Swell 2 2/3 1968 moved 2009) 2
Larigot (1968) 1 1/3
Clarinet (1958) 8
Trumpet (1958) 8 (c)
Tremulant

PedalOrgan (South side)
Rumble (1871 reconfigured 2009) 32 (b)
Open Diapason (1871) 16 (d)
Bourdon (1871) 16 (b)
Octave (1908) 8 (d)
Bass Flute (1871) 8 (b)
Fifteenth (1908) 4 (d)
Flute (added 2009) 4 (b)
Trombone (1958/68) 16 (c)
Fagotto (From Swell added 2009) 16 (a)
Trumpet 8 (c)

Usual couplers and piston accessories
Some notes on the organ.

The parish gratefully acknowledges financial support through Grants and individual donations to ensure that the 137 years old organ is preserved for future generations.

Pipes were removed, cleaned, wrapped and stored in large cases within the church while during construction work.
Staff from the South Island Organ Company assisted on site for 3 weeks and their advice and support was much appreciated.

The Blower has been moved from ground level into the new gallery with new trunking feeding wind supply to the south side organ case. Cabling to console was extended and installed by Gerald Green. The Bourdon unit was relocated from ground level within the south-side case to pipe level in the north case thus improving pipe sound quality and blend. Framing and supports within the organ were strengthened as required and winding and wiring relocated. New computerised swell engines were added to the swell and choir organ shades because mechanical controls were no longer viable in the new location. (Swell shades are rather like vertically mounted venetian blinds producing crescendos and diminuendos).

John Hargraves Director of the South Island Organ Company checked the Pipework for stability, timbre, blend and tuning restoring the ranks of pipes to their former glory. He worked on the restoration of this organ’s twin in the Catholic Cathedral, Christchurch in the 1970’s.

Stops changes are listed in bold and all the work done will compliment a future full off-site restoration. It is now standard practice for any materials (in this case nothing of great historic significance) no longer used to be stored within the organ. This ensures that any changes can be reversed in the future. The organ is fairly stable even now and should settle down well within the next 6 months.